Spare a thought for internet journalists

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Spare a thought for internet journalists

Post by Michael » April 3rd, 2008, 2:18 pm

It must be tough in their shoes. They're given exciting breaking stories to report on. Sometimes there's plenty of eyewitness reports and photos to work with, but occasionally newsworthy events happen in such remote places that journalists are left to fend for themselves when it comes to finding suitable imagery to go along with the report.

Without further ado, I bring you this gem from CNN:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiap ... index.html

Australian police: Man rescues wife from crocodile

DARWIN, Australia (AP) -- Police say a man jumped on the back of a crocodile to rescue his wife, who was clenched in the 2.5-meter (eight-foot) reptile's jaws in remote Outback Australia.

Northern Territory Police spokesman David Wright said the woman suffered leg and hand injuries in the attack, which happened late Wednesday in a creek where the couple were swimming, 160 kilometers (100 miles) southwest of Darwin, Australia's most northern city.

Wright said she was treated at a nearby medical clinic before being taken to a hospital in Darwin for further treatment. He said she had at least eight teeth puncture wounds in her left thigh.
Now, what do you think they decided on as appropriate imagery? Stock photo? Fair enough. But of what? Well, let's Google crocodiles and Australia and see what comes up.
The 'Big Boxing Crocodile' in Darwin, Australia -- one of a trend of 150 'Big Things' sculptures around Australia.
Perfect.

EDIT: They've changed the image now. Looks like I've done my bit for humanity today!
Last edited by Michael on April 4th, 2008, 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 3rd, 2008, 2:40 pm

Hahaha brilliant.

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » April 4th, 2008, 1:05 am

Been replaced with this

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » April 4th, 2008, 10:33 am

Hahaha awesome, I've done my bit for humanity today!