My iPhone is going to kill me

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Michael
Vince Vaughn

My iPhone is going to kill me

Post by Michael » August 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Yes, my iPhone is going to kill me. I've started using it while on-the-go. While on-the-job. In fact, if it starts with "on-the", I'll probably have my head buried in Reader. I can safely say that I'm far less attentive to my surroundings because of this. And I wasn't very attentive to begin with.

Just yesterday I was waiting in Subway. "Who's next?" I quickly put the Jesus Phone away and start ordering. The girl in front of me (who I thought had already ordered) and the Subway chick stared at me blankly, until mid-sentence I stumbled to a halt... "You haven't ordered yet, have you? Right. Sorry about that. Looks like I jumped the gun a bit there. Go ahead." Embarrassing.

It's not going to be long until I step in front of a tram, or walk into a pole. I just wanted to say that it's been nice knowing you all.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » August 28th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Haha I'm the same, browsing shit while I'm walking home, it's really not good :D

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » August 28th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Did it again today - caused a woman coming towards me to do the whole routine: "Oh shit, that person isn't looking, I'll move out of their wa-- oh crap, now they've seen me and tried to move out of my way, ahhh -- wait --- you go left and I'll go --- okay great, I've actually had to stop now to avoid bumping into them. FUCKING WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING, DICKHEAD, ARE YOU 5 YEARS OLD?"
"No ma'am, I've got an iPhone."

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » August 28th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I'm starting to wish the iPhone supported text-to-speech for a lot of things. I'd love to be able to walk down the street and have Google Reader actually READ out the headlines to me, and let me click the button on my headphones for it to read out some more about the article, double-click to skip forwards, triple-click to skip backwards, etc.

Gamma
She Hulk

Post by Gamma » August 28th, 2008, 8:10 pm

You could use the "good news" or "bad news" speech settings to suit your mood, it'd be great.

Milligna
Bitter Non-Gender-Specific Individual

Post by Milligna » August 29th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Lol@gamma. I suspect that only makes sense to mac users.