Earth Hour

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Miles
Site Admin

Earth Hour

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2008, 9:48 am

Thoughts?

Personally I think it's a complete wank, and may turn on extra lights just out of spite. The amount of extra carbon they've burned promoting this event will far outweigh any benefits anyway. And as if people need more "awareness" of global warming - it's shoved down our throats each and every day, while there are far more important problems (like poverty, far worse types of pollution, wars all over the world) that we'd be better off spending our time solving (and need far more awareness building).

Timbo
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Timbo » March 28th, 2008, 10:04 am

If I remember it, I'll get onboard. Obviously they haven't done enough promoting it because I haven't got a clue when it's on.

At least it gets people thinking about it all. True, if they don't actually make any difference with the carbon they've burned than at least it gets the punters thinking hey, I don't actually need those extra lights on before they sit down an watch telly on their humungus energy burning tv's. (hopefully soon to be me as well ;) )

I personally think they could do worse. It's a pretty effective way of getting Joe Public to start talking about it at least.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 28th, 2008, 10:21 am

I agree it gets people thinking about stuff like this and hopefully encourage people to turn off a few lights around the house but..................

I read that each city is turning off major things like Harbour Bridge etc, Perth is turning off the lights at the WACCA........WTF? why would they even be on to turn off? Cricket season is over so I find it amazingly stupid if they are going to turn the bloody lights on (can you image what it takes to fire those suckers up) just to turn them off???? And after the hour is up what then? Turn em back on?

:?

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2008, 10:55 am

Timbo wrote:If I remember it, I'll get onboard. Obviously they haven't done enough promoting it because I haven't got a clue when it's on.

At least it gets people thinking about it all. True, if they don't actually make any difference with the carbon they've burned than at least it gets the punters thinking hey, I don't actually need those extra lights on before they sit down an watch telly on their humungus energy burning tv's. (hopefully soon to be me as well ;) )

I personally think they could do worse. It's a pretty effective way of getting Joe Public to start talking about it at least.
My point is people are already thinking about it... all the time... do you really think turning your lights off for an hour on Saturday is really going to change your long term behaviour?

And I already keep lighting in my house to a minimum - which drives my girlfriend crazy - but any concerned person should be doing that already and not need a switching off for an hour to change their behaviour.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 28th, 2008, 11:23 am

but any concerned person
although how many are??

keep in mind Miles that a shitload of people are apathetic and need constant reminding

unfnknblvbl
Lifetime Bitter Member

Re: Earth Hour

Post by unfnknblvbl » March 28th, 2008, 11:25 am

Miles wrote:Thoughts?

Personally I think it's a complete wank, and may turn on extra lights just out of spite.
That's what I'll be doing... :D

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2008, 11:52 am

Argod wrote:
but any concerned person
although how many are??

keep in mind Miles that a shitload of people are apathetic and need constant reminding
Since when has nagging worked?

Anyway, like I said, total wank, and next to useless imo. I doubt it'd make any difference at all.

unfnknblvbl
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by unfnknblvbl » March 28th, 2008, 12:05 pm

actually, if everybody turned off all their power-consuming shit, it'd make a huge difference - all the generators in the country would likely burst into flames or something, from the sudden lack of current draw...

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2008, 12:19 pm

But people WON'T turn off all their power-consuming shit (it's only non-essentials for starters, and I doubt more than 50% of people join in), last year they used 10% less electricity during the hour but overall only 2% less for the hour (because they shifted their electricity usage!).

This is civilization fuckers, why would you want to join North Korea who get to enjoy earth hour all night every night?

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » March 28th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Wow, for once I agree with you 110% Milesy. I think it's the biggest pile of "feel good about yourself" wank I've seen in a long while. They'd be better off just promoting information about energy conservation. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day etc.

The information about it on our office communal wall (next to the "SMILE - IT'S FREE" poster, I shit you not) is badly written too. It says they're aiming to reduce electricity consumption for the YEAR by 5%, when 1 hour out of a year is only about 0.0001%, even if they achieved a 100% energy saving. FAIL.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Miles wrote:
Argod wrote:
but any concerned person
although how many are??

Since when has nagging worked?

Anyway, like I said, total wank, and next to useless imo. I doubt it'd make any difference at all.
oh look I agree with you (see my first post) but I disagree that people don't need nagging, sure most of us don't but plenty do, just not this bollocks

Timbo
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Timbo » March 28th, 2008, 4:29 pm

As most people here have said, people have to be 'nagged' or the whole idea of getting people involved in power conservation will just fade away.

In this case the 'nagging' is more a excercise in marketing. And I aree that this is vital because basically saving power isn't 'cool'. The general public these days only seem to respond to something if they actually make it into a 'fun' excercise. It's sad because it shows just how shallow we've become...

'Nagging' is the only thing that does work when it comes to public awareness.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2008, 4:45 pm

How shallow we've become? As opposed to when?

And I still stand by my assertion that this will do absolutely fuck all, just like Live Earth before it, and An Inconvenient Truth before that. Do you read the papers Timbo? Not being a smartarse here, I ask because we get CONSTANTLY bombarded with this shit, it's ridiculous. As if it needs even more awareness raising. And there are better things to do and more important things to worry about than switching the lights off for an hour. Burning candles is going to cause more carbon pollution anyway!

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 29th, 2008, 11:53 am

The information about it on our office communal wall (next to the "SMILE - IT'S FREE" poster, I shit you not) is badly written too. It says they're aiming to reduce electricity consumption for the YEAR by 5%, when 1 hour out of a year is only about 0.0001%, even if they achieved a 100% energy saving. FAIL.
I think they're saying they want people to make changes permanently that reduce their energy consumption by 5%.

Chicago Tribune is mocking us now...

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/red-03 ... 5659.story
Because, if we are being honest, Earth Hour, like its forefathers, is not about environmental policy--it is about social networking and self-importance.

The desire to be relevant and to have a positive impact on the world is a good instinct. But it's lost in the self-involved nature of exercises like Earth Hour.

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Post by Tim » March 29th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Miles wrote:How shallow we've become? As opposed to when?
Hahahaha so true.

'Plato complained about the youth of the day, also. "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"'

Oh, and another:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Post by Tim » March 29th, 2008, 2:27 pm

Miles I disagree about an Inconvenient Truth. I am quite amazed at the effect that has had on public opinion (and its associated follow on effect of who people vote in to office, policies enacted by government, etc).

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 29th, 2008, 3:31 pm

I love this.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/environme ... ntentSwap1
In Melbourne, thousands are expected at a free public concert at Federation Square, where they will watch city landmarks plunge into darkness for an hour from 8pm.
Last year they had to lie about Sydney going dark, check out this Media Watch article - http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transc ... 892855.htm

They changed the exposure in the before and after pics to make it look way darker than it was (or way lighter than it was beforehand, depending on how you look at it).

And the pics weren't even taken on the same day!
We were informed that many businesses would be turning off their lights at close of business on Friday, thus negating any chance of a comparative shot. The resulting shots were completely untouched, ethically handled and a tribute to the magnificent success of Earth Hour.

— Statement from Sam North to Media Watch
Yes, but wouldn't most readers expect the pictures were taken just 'before' and just 'after' the lights were switched off.

The 'before' shots were taken 2 days before the switch off when weather conditions helped make the whole scene look much lighter.
So fricking dodgy.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 29th, 2008, 4:48 pm

This is more like it!

but not here in the west :(
VICTORIANS are gearing up for Earth Hour tonight, with a country pub offering free beer.

The Criterion Hotel in the north-central Victorian town of Tatura will be hosting a pyjama party, with a free beer on offer for those who bring a black balloon along – a symbol of an individual's carbon footprint.

"Pubs do tend to use a fair bit of power and energy," the pub's licensee Nick Matei said.

"We just want to make people more aware, and this is a good point to start."

Muggus
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Muggus » March 29th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Wouldn't it be a better idea to make an Earth DAY rather than hour?

Big ask I know...going without precious electricty for a whole day.
Maybe if they made it a public holiday and encouraged people to get out amongst the wilderness (or something) it could* work.

*but probably wouldn't.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 29th, 2008, 5:43 pm

don't jehovas or seventh day adventists do just that on Sundays?

so it can be done

unfnknblvbl
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by unfnknblvbl » March 29th, 2008, 6:37 pm

say what? JWs don't observe the sabbath, and the 7th Day Adventists only observe it insofar as to not do anything considered "secular" on the day.

Ultra orthodox Jews, on the other hand, take the sabbath to such extremes as turning on a light or dialling a telephone is considered work, and therefore forbidden...

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 29th, 2008, 7:19 pm

ah I knew it was someone just not which group as I barely pay attention

Adam
Site Admin

Post by Adam » March 30th, 2008, 11:53 am

Miles is right, apart from raising a small amount of awareness it won't do shit. We could see the city from here last night and loads of lights were on, so whatever.

If we truly want to make a difference, we need to put more money into alternate sources of power generation. Step up wind farms, ethanol, etc.

Stu
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Stu » March 30th, 2008, 12:39 pm

I totally forgot all about it until around 945pm :lol:

did anything happen?

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 30th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Power usage went up at 8pm last night.