Go Australian sharemarket!

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Go Australian sharemarket!

Post by Tim » January 18th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Keep freefalling and gets me some bargains!

Edit: So just to add some content to this meaningless post - while the current drop in prices is a well deserved correction (and overall gains depending on when you entered the stockmarket are still excellent compared to regular savings accounts), it is interesting that people follow the herd mentality of selling their shares in times like these.

Do "mum and dad" shareholders contribute to this freefall, or is it just professional investors trying to sell now and buy when it's lower? Is the stockmarket really that overheated that the current correction justifies the drop?

Meanwhile I'm still gobsmacked by the price of gold and oil - if there was ever a correction needed, the futures market in commodities is crying out for it. Good to see the price of oil dip under $90.

The problem is now when to buy in. In a few weeks? A few months? Is this a correction that will take a year or two to shake out? I'm guessing not. S&P 500 only just hit pre-9/11 levels and have now taken a pumelling, suggesting that after a few months of instability, the market will improve. I'm still looking forward to the US election at the end of the year and the associated benefits of having Bush and his cronies out of office... I received a substantial raise over the last year and yet thanks to the falling dollar, in AUD terms I'm still where I started!

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 22nd, 2008, 12:03 pm

Market's down 5.5% today, I think we'll see 5000 soon.

and AUD is falling.

willy

Post by willy » April 30th, 2008, 5:32 pm

it still seems very volatile why knows when it will become stable if it ever does