How did you get YOUR scar under your chin?

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Michael
Vince Vaughn

How did you get YOUR scar under your chin?

Post by Michael » January 11th, 2008, 10:11 am

We've practically all got one. And if you haven't got one, you're probably going to get one soon.

Mine came about while I was standing at the bottom of a slide in a playground (looking up to the top of the slide) when my sister thought it would be a great idea to come down at high speed. She kicked my feet out from under me and I flew over her and cracked my chin on the slide. And this was back when slides were WELDED METAL. Not this plastic mould crap the kids play on these days.

Fortunately we were at a family BBQ, so some drunk uncle managed to part with his bottle of Jack Daniels for a second and we dabbed my chin, then went to the nearest doctor to get stitches.

How did you get yours?

Shaneus
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by Shaneus » January 11th, 2008, 10:45 am

What can I say? My face is flawless :D

Ches
Site Admin

Post by Ches » January 11th, 2008, 12:39 pm

I'm chin-scar free, but i do have a lovely crease down the middle of my forehead from a childhood accident involving a billie-kart, a large hill and a drunk uncle* driving the aforementioned billie-kart. You can't actually see the crease, but you can feel it.

My dad has a beauty under his chin though. Somehow he managed to hit a silent policeman^ whilst riding a motorcycle through country NSW. He ended up on his arse on the side of the road, but on his way there he hit his chin on the instrument cluster, which just happens to have the ignition key right in the middle of it. The key went through his chin behind the jawbone and into his mouth from underneath. The scar is pretty decent.

*Actually he's my godfather, not my uncle, but he was drunk.
^A silent policeman is a big metal knob they used to put on the end of the white line at T intersections in New South Wales so you couldn't cut the corner. I'm pretty sure they're all gone now.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 11th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I was in NSW with Gaz the other day and he goes "watch out for the silent policeman" and I'm like "what the fuck are you talking about?"

So they do still exist, at least in Coolangatta (some parts of which don't appear to have changed in the slightest since 1971).

I have NFI where my chin scar is from.

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » January 11th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Serious? How could you not know? :) I take it you didn't need stitches then.

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Post by Tim » January 11th, 2008, 4:10 pm

I have an eye scar from a mate of mine flicking a metal tab at my face "as a joke". Hmm now that I think about it a lot of people have done that to me.

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » January 11th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Kids can be cruel...

I remember a kid in my grade made a "pen cannon" using a rubber band and a disassembled ball point pen which fired the middle bit of the pen across the room, sticking a good half a centimetre in the cork wall at the other end. He fired it at about 5 people (missed every time amazingly) before he got caught and kicked out.

My mate's dad has a good story too about putting a pencil through a guy's hand accidentally. Apparently this kid was sitting behind him during an exam making a tapping noise the whole time, and he'd asked him to shut up a few times but he wouldn't listen, anyway he tried to teach him a lesson by turning around and slamming the end of his pencil on the table to make a loud noise and freak him out, what he didn't expect though was that he actually landed right in the middle of the guy's hand and gave it enough force to drive the pencil all the way through. Whoops! :)

unfnknblvbl
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by unfnknblvbl » January 11th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Michael wrote:I remember a kid in my grade made a "pen cannon" using a rubber band and a disassembled ball point pen which fired the middle bit of the pen across the room, sticking a good half a centimetre in the cork wall at the other end. He fired it at about 5 people (missed every time amazingly) before he got caught and kicked out.
I made one of those in year 11 woodwork that could fire 10cm nails further and harder than the class nailgun.
...I kept it hidden from the teacher :D

My chin scar came from a bike accident, surprisingly enough. I just got a new MTB on my 16th birthday, and was riding home from school on it, swerving from side to side when suddenly the front wheel was at right-angles to where I wanted to go, and I shot forward and landed chin-first on the road.
Seven stitches, and a smashed molar.

Twelve years later, the tooth still gets infected every few months, even though the dogtor worked on it for ages :(

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » January 11th, 2008, 9:34 pm

I don't have a chin scar but I do have a false front tooth from a skateboarding incident when I was about 9 or something.
My friend stopped the board as I went past and I obviously kept going face first into the ground and chipped off half of my front tooth.

The dentist built up the bottom of the tooth and it looked quite good, but as I got older my tooth discoloured (it's dead) so now it looks really obvious.
I really need to get that sorted out, but I'd imagine it would cost major $$$$

George
Bitter Guy

Post by George » January 12th, 2008, 1:13 am

I got mine when I was about 7 or 8. At my aunties house out the backyard. The dog started to chase me so I ran to the back door and just before I got there I tripped forward and smacked my chin right on the step that goes up to the house. Of all dogs, I was getting chased by a sausage dog haha. God knows why I was scared of it. The things don't even have legs!

The next scar on my face is just between my eyes on my forehead. Got that a few years later by jumping over the fence out the front yard. The fence was probably just under 1m and I went to hurdle over it (used to do it all the time). For some reason I didn't quite make it and my back foot caught the fence. My whole body kept going forward while my foot stayed put. I ended up hitting the water meter head first.

Next one is pretty much right where the last one is. When I screw up my face the scars together look like a 'Y'. This one was about the same age. My older brother and myself were out the back yard at the swing set. Not sure what I said, but it was something to piss him off. I was standing in front of the swings and he was on the opposite side facing me. You know where you hold onto a swing, jump up and then push down with all of your force, well he done that while I was standing right in the path of it. The swing just happened to spin around so that when it made impact with my head it had turned 90 degrees and I copped the metal bit right between my eyes.

Lucky last one is thankfully under my right eyebrow. Got this one when I was 15 or 16 playing cricket in a semi final. I was fielding in the covers. Someone hit a nice drive that went just past me. I chased after it and it started to slow up a fair bit because the ground was pretty damp from rain earlier on. It was getting pretty close to the boundary, so I slid and knocked it back into play. Thing is we were playing at a school so also on the oval and making up part of the boundary was a soccer goal. Because the ground was wet I kept on sliding. I was sliding on my side feet first. They missed the goals but my head didn't. I ended up getting knocked out for a few minutes. Only reason I remember all this is because I seen it on video. I really can't recall the whole thing at all. Wish I had the video because it'd look sweet on a sports blooper reel.

I think that for the first 3 incidents there was 4-6 stitches. Last one only needed 3. I've had plenty more all up over my body. Mum worked it out that I've had just about double the amount than my other 3 siblings put together. I was a pretty hardcore kid :twisted:

Gamma
She Hulk

Post by Gamma » January 13th, 2008, 5:02 pm

I think there's already a front page article about my chin scar- mid last year I was listening to music on headphones for the first time whilst skating, and to cut a long story short it ended poorly. The bloodstains can still be seen at the western carpark of Wollongong Golf Club, for those interested. I was a bit worried that I'd have a ridiculous bald patch in the middle of my beard, but thankfully I underestimated my own hairiness.