The most frustrating thing right now...

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

The most frustrating thing right now...

Post by Tim » December 30th, 2007, 6:46 am

...is email templates, and "smart" responses.

Three times in the last week (once with EA, once with Netgear and once with Hotmail), I have sent a very clear description of the problem at hand, and explained why it doesn't fit their normal procedure for fixing said problem. Immediately, I get a form letter back explaining how to fix something with the normal procedure. eg, Netgear - "Resetting my device fixes it temporarily, how do I fix it permanently?" Response: "Here are instructions for resetting it." The other frustrating part is the "customer service speak" people are now inserting into these emails. Asking a simple question about a delivery status: "I am so sorry this has happened to you, and I can understand your frustration. We hope to solve this problem as rapidly as possible to your greatest satisfaction."

I then have to write back and say "can someone other than a computer please read this?" Sometimes two or three times. Is this user aggravation worth it? The only company lately *not* to give me the form letter response was Dell who have always been excellent with personal responses (in my experience).

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » December 30th, 2007, 8:04 am

I really hate that too.
It's so frustrating when you get an answer that has nothing to do with your problem and has obviously just picked up a key word in your email.

But hey, for every 1 useless email we receive, the same email probably solves the problem for 10 stupid people, so I can understand why companies use these systems.

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » December 30th, 2007, 8:04 am

nadnerb wrote:I really hate that too.
It's so frustrating when you get an answer that has nothing to do with your problem and has obviously just picked up a key word in your email.

But hey, for every useless email we receive, the same email probably solves the problem for 10 stupid people, so I can understand why companies use these systems.

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » December 30th, 2007, 8:05 am

Oh shit, that was supposed to be an edit, and now I can't delete it.

I am now said stupid person.