Fun with eBay scammers

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Fun with eBay scammers

Post by Michael » November 15th, 2007, 3:12 pm

So yesterday, I got a guy who's guessed my email address by concatenating "@hotmail.com "and "@gmail.com" to the end of my ebay username. He's trying to convince me I've won an auction "from him" based on a bid I made on my girlfriend's ebay sale (yeah, okay, I was just boosting up her auction to start a bidding frenzy).

So I've replied and said I'm rapt I've won, and to tell me how I should pay him. Basically I'm waiting for the bastard to give me his bank details or PayPal account so that I can report it to eBay.

Can you think of anything else clever I could do to fuck him over?
Last edited by Michael on November 15th, 2007, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Post by Tim » November 15th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Rapt, not wrapped.

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » November 15th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Wow, just when I think I've got a good grasp of my own language, something like that comes along and bites me in the arse.

So anyway, I've got the guy's home address now n' everything. Unfortunately he lives in Romania so I doubt much is going to happen. I suppose I could send him a virus or something. Maybe he'd be dumb enough to fall for it. :)

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » November 15th, 2007, 7:09 pm

I get that stuff on eBay all the time, there's bugger all you can do about it bar notifying eBay.

I love that you've outed yourself as a dodgy bidder on the front page though :D

AlphaOne
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by AlphaOne » November 30th, 2007, 1:46 pm

ask him if you can pick the item up then kill him with a shovel!

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » December 8th, 2007, 6:09 am

I just got this:
Dear nadnerb
You expressed interest on this item. I'm the seller of this item on which you've recently bid on through the eBay system ( Item # 130181197841 ) and I've contacted you because I need to know if you are still interested to buy ... Email me as soon as possible with your answer because I must to know if is necesarly to find another buyer or if you can buy the item(i need to know your final price)...If you accept this offer the eBay policy automatically proclaims you winner. The transaction will go strictly according to eBay's RULES and POLICY and will be supervised by eBay Trust & Safety Department. If you are interested just reply to this message.
I am waiting a fast response!

Thank you!
Firstly that's not my eBay username and secondly I haven't bidded on anything on eBay for a while.
The item is Guitar Hero 3 btw.
Do people really fall for these scams?

Michael
Vince Vaughn

Post by Michael » December 8th, 2007, 2:17 pm

They must, otherwise people wouldn't bother doing it. It's the whole spam mentality - if you throw enough shit at the wall, some of it will stick. Some people are pretty stupid.

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Post by nadnerb » December 9th, 2007, 1:58 am

True.

Actually, I got 3 emails like this yesterday, all the same item but from different addresses and worded differently.
Strange.

nadnerb
Lifetime Bitter Member

Re: Fun with eBay scammers

Post by nadnerb » December 9th, 2007, 7:40 am

I got another 2 today
Michael wrote:So yesterday, I got a guy who's guessed my email address by concatenating "@hotmail.com "and "@gmail.com" to the end of my ebay username.
Looking at the auction I see a person named 'nadnerb' bid on the item
So it seems 5 separate people have added '@gmail.com' and sent me an email :lol: