Futurism

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

Futurism

Post by Tim » June 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm

I'm posting it here for posterity.

In the future we'll have a device that records pretty much everything we do. From how much we walk during the day, to things we see and do, messages we send, everything, will be recorded. Music we listen to, TV shows we watch, our lives will be full of statistics.

It will of course be very private and personal. What am I basing this on? The fact that for the last two years I've been recording how far I run, where I run, the speed at which I do it, etc. I also use the GPS watch that records this to map road trips and skiing runs to Google Earth. In addition I upload all my photos to Flickr (it shan't be long until we also have cameras with GPS that record where a photo was taken). This site records my personal reflections. Add this to things like Gmail where I have been literally using 30% of my storage for the last 3 years even though I keep sending and receiving email, soon we'll have this all in a centralised place. My iPod keeps track of songs I listen to, songs I skip - imagine being able to request your computer "What song have I listened to more than any other?" over your lifetime. It'll come.

As I've also mentioned in the forums before, I'm going to predict a centralised network for connectivity. Most likely wifi or some future variant, there's just no point in dedicated voice options anymore. I use Skype only as my home voice option with both an Australian and a US number, meaning anyone I want to speak to can call me at the price of a local call.

You heard it here first folks.