State of Origin

For entries on the front page of the site

Moderator: Gamma

Tim
Curmudgeonly Gilmore

State of Origin

Post by Tim » July 6th, 2006, 1:00 am

Tonight's State of Origin was a ripper. Good on Lockyer for scoring that last minute try.

However that's not what I loved most about the game tonight.

What I truly loved was the way the crowd booed during the trophy presentation. Why were they booing? Because it was presented by the prime minister of Australia, John Howard.

Now this is what being an Australian is all about. I'd love to see what would happen if you booed George W Bush in the US. In fact, I'd love to see him present a trophy at a sporting event at all to be honest.

I thought the icing on the cake though was when John Howard sat down and they welcomed Wally Lewis, the whole stadium erupted in cheers.

Yep, definitely what being Australian is all about.

Finally I decided to see if I could find footage of this booing. But no, it's not apparently news at all in Australia (again, I'd like to see the reaction in the US). What I did find though, was a mention of the 2003 NRL final on crikey.com.au, stating:
Which was just as well, really – for as every dinkum Aussie knows, booing the Prime Minister at sporting events is the Australian way. Howard was booed a week ago when presenting the Rugby League Grand Final trophy.
I love being an Australian.